Here is a list of motion capture (and related) tools I have come across on twitter or similar. Feel free to leave a comment for tools I have missed!
Webcam MoCap (upper body)
- VSeeFace – webcam tracking for upper body (for VTubers). With LeapMotion (now UltraLeap) camera, can also do finger tracking. I like this one because it uses the VMC (Virtual Motion Capture) protocol, allowing merging of a range of tools. It is my go-to app for upper body tracking.
- Kalidoface (3D) – web browser motion capture that can control a VRM file. I like this for demos as it requires zero software to be installed!
- Sony Semiconductor Solutions have released some AR support
Webcam Mocap (Facial)
- Waidayo – iPhone app that supports the VMC protocol.
- iFacialMocap – an iPhone app that does facial MoCap tracking (expressions)
- Unity Live Capture – includes a facial expression capture solution
Webcam Mocap (full body)
- The FreeMoCap Project – markerless mocap using multiple cameras
- ThreeDPoseTracker – sounded good, but last time I visited it said no longer maintained. However there are still lots of tweets with the #TDPT tag.
- Webcam Motion Capture for Vtubers (YouTube) including hand tracking (although I found it dropped my fingers a lot)
- MotionMuse – “easy to use character animation software dedicated to ease the animation process”
Motion capture from video files
Some sources of videos of motions
- Funny running styles
VR Headsets and Equipment
- PlayAniMaker by MuRo (may not be popular, but its been the most reliable way for me to create upper body animations, including hand positions – no jitters that frequently occurs with webcams)
- I have recently using some Unity asset store tools OpenXR based solution from R1Tools and Final IK which can create animation clips.
- HTC Vive has trackers that you can attach to other things (like cameras, your knees, etc) to track the position of other real world objects.
- AI for predicting body movements based on VR headset positioning (very cool!)
- Rokoko has a range of impressive gear and tools, such as full body capture suits, gloves, and face capture software
- OptiTrack has a range of tools for motion and facial capture (markerless mocap).
- Tundra Tackers – multiple trackers per USB dongle, often out of stock
- SlimeVR – small devices, cheaper than Rokoko etc suits
- Mocopi – not launched yet (launching Jan 2023?), but looks similar to SlimeVR trackers
Character Model Creation
- OVR-SmoothTracking – a tool on booth that smooths out motion capture movements